Women’s Soccer Season Comes to an End

The St. Mary’s College of Maryland (SMCM) women’s soccer season came to an end this past Saturday, as they lost to York College of Pennsylvania in the quarterfinal round of the Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) playoffs. The injury-plagued Seahawks kept York in check until the twenty-seventh minute, when the Spartans were able to find the back of the net to give them a 1-0 advantage. The score remained 1-0 at the half, but York was able to score their second goal just a minute into the second half. The Spartans would add on a third goal late in the game as well as hold the Seahawks off the board to secure a 3-0 victory. This allows York to advance to the CAC semi-final round and take on number one seeded Salisbury University, according to cacsports.com.

In the game against York, sophomore defender Cameron Mangold led the team with two shots on goal. First year Emma Schroeder and sophomore Ashley Yurich also each had shots of their own, but unfortunately none of them were able to score. As goalie, first year Gabby Manning faced ten total shots and saved seven of them. More impressively, this was only her second collegiate match as a keeper, according to SMCM Athletics.

The Seahawks officially ended the 2019 campaign with a 3-15-1 record and a 1-8-1 record in conference. As a team, they played much better at home, going 3-5, than on the road, 0-10-1. While SMCM only yielded an average of 2.39 goals per game, they were only able to score an average of 0.58 goals per game. This lack of goal scoring, along with only 6.8 shots per game makes it nearly impossible to win soccer matches. Additionally SMCM had a relatively small team this season, putting more stress on everyone to play longer and harder. However there should be lots of optimism surrounding the future of the Seahawk squad. Out of the seventeen players listed on their roster, only two of them are upperclassmen. This means that the team is presented with the unique opportunity to have their younger players gain game experience. Add in a solid recruiting class or two and this team will be back near the top of the conference standings.

In their last game of the regular season, the Seahawks played a tightly contested match with Southern Virginia University (SVU). This game, played on Oct. 29, was the second meeting of the year between the Seahawks and SVU (SMCM won the first one 1-0). In fact, this game was so evenly split that the two teams ended in a draw after double overtime. 

SVU was the first to score, jumping out to a 1-0 lead in the seventeenth minute. However they then went on to concede an own goal to level the score at 1-1. At the beginning of the second half, sophomore forward Megan Tazza scored unassisted to give SMCM a 2-1 advantage. This score would hold until the seventy-second minute, when SVU tied the game up with a goal of their own. This sent the game to the first overtime period, in which no shots were taken and no goals were scored. SMCM was able to tally two shots in the second overtime period, but both failed to go in, according to SMCM Athletics.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *