Men’s Lacrosse Triumphant in Final Second

Sophomore Chris Becraft (in white) shoots the game winning goal, his second of the game, to defeat Salisbury. (Photo by Matt Molek)
Sophomore Chris Becraft (in white) shoots the game winning goal, his second of the game, to defeat Salisbury. (Photo by Matt Molek)

In a dramatic finish, men’s lacrosse defeated rival Salisbury University on Friday with the winning goal being scored by sophomore Chris Becraft with .2 seconds left in the game.

The men’s lacrosse team is on a four game conference streak with recent wins against Marymount University, Wesley College, and Hood College, ranking them third in the Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) behind Stevenson University and Salisbury University. They have a 7-5 overall record and a 5-2 conference record.

Friday’s game began after Festivus Awesomeness, an outdoor concert and BBQ on the Townhouse Green. Students basked in the sun eating burgers and tossing frisbees as the lacrosse team readied themselves for their game.

The game started off with junior Ryan Alexander scoring the first goal two minutes into the game. By then end of the first period, Salisbury was ahead by one point. By halftime, St. Mary’s had pulled ahead and was leading 7-6.

The action continued to heat up as Salisbury scored twice more in the third period. Tension was high as the final period began. With a little over 2 minutes left in the game, the score was tied at 10. Becrafts final goal with .2 seconds remaining won the game as the fans erupted in cheers and fans rushed the field.

Sophomore Amir Reda said, “It was the best lacrosse game I ever went to. It was awesome!”

Three-hundred eighty nine fans attended this game, which was a histoic win for the team.

The top scorers were sophomore Dennis Rosson with 4 goals and junior Ryan Alexander with 3.

The team’s streak began with an 11-6 win over Marymount while playing in Virginia on April 1. The top Seahawk scorers were sophomores Dennis Rosson and Chris Becraft with 3 goals each.

Both teams had 21 turnovers each during the game and the Seahawks never fell behind in points; they started with and held the lead throughout the entire game.

During the next game against Wesley’s Wolverines on April 4, the Seahawks added another conference win to their record, with a close 9-8 final score. Wesley kept pace with the Seahawks, gained the lead during the game and were tied up 8-8 in the fourth period with a little over 2 minutes left.

With 8 seconds left, sophomore Dennis Rosson, with an assist by sophomore Bobby Cooke, made the game-winning shot securing the team’s victory.

The game against Hood College on April 7 continued St. Mary’s winning streak. The Seahawks scored a crushing 17 points to the 2 goals scored by Hood. Eleven goals had been scored by halftime by St. Mary’s and only one by Hood. Men’s lacrosse shot a total of 58 times, while Hood attempted 9.

The team has been working all season towards improving themselves.

Senior captain Chris Featherstone said, “[T]he improvement out of both our offense and defense in recent weeks has been tremendous…[O]ur greatest accomplishment has been stepping up our play in conference…I think we’re all looking forward to the conference tournament.”

The CAC Quarterfinals begin on April 13 with Mary Washington facing Salisbury. The Seahawks will play the winner of that game on April 16.

[slideshow id=10]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *