Three separate bombings in Afghanistan over the last week have killed at least 48 people and wounded dozens more as the country’s election approaches on Sept. 28. The attacks, which come only days after the US ended peace talks with the Taliban, began on Sept. 15 and have targeted locations of significance to the upcoming elections.
The first two suicide-bombings took place on Tuesday, Sept. 17. The earlier attack began at 11:30 local time at an election rally in Parwan Province for President Ashraf Ghani, who was in attendance. According to reporters and statements made by the Afghan goverment, a suicide bomber drove a motorcycle loaded with explosives into an entrance of the venue hosting the campaign rally. The resulting blast killed 26 and injured 42 in a crowd of approximately 2,200, many of whom were civilians. Ghani, who was inside the building at the time of the explosion, was reportedly uninjured.
The second attack occurred only hours later at 13:00 local time in the middle of Kabul, the nation’s capital. This explosion occurred at a crowded intersection near Massood Square, in close proximity to both the US Embassy and The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) headquarters in Afghanistan. Official reports from the Afghan government say that the blast killed 22 people and wounded an unspecified amount of others. The Taliban, who claimed responsibility for both attacks, said that the Kabul explosion was targeted at an army base for Afghan troops.
Shortly after the attacks, Ghani condemned the actions of the Taliban. He posted a public statement on Twitter, saying “Kabul was also hit by a coward enemy and again the target was civilian lives. I offer my heartfelt condolences to victims of today’s tragedies in Kabul and Parwan and pray for the speedy recovery of those who were wounded. We stand united in this hour of grief.”
This was not the end of this week of violence, however. On Sept. 18 a third incident occured, when multiple gunmen and at least one confirmed suicide bomber entered a goverment building in Jalalabad, a city in Eastern Afghanistan. The building that was targeted is a distribution center of national identity cards, a form of identification which will allow citizens to vote in the upcoming election. Reports say that attackers first detonated bombs outside the building before entering with armed men.The Afghan government has not yet released an official statement on fatalities, though Minister of Interior Nashrat Rahimi confirmed at least two of the attackers were killed by Afghan government forces as they entered to take back the building.
This mounting violence has occurred directly before the Sept. 28 national elections, which the Taliban openly oppose. Following the first suicide bombing on Sept. 17, the insurgent group made a statement saying “we already warned people not to attend election rallies, if they suffer any losses that is their own responsibility.” They have threatened to disrupt the election process further and have released a warning against using schools and community buildings as election centers, as well as having students and teachers working at election centers, saying they “do not want to cause the loss of lives and financial losses for civilians, teachers and students.” Despite the recent attacks and threats, a spokesperson for the Afghan election commission said the government is “committed to holding elections on the announced date, and such threats from the Taliban cannot prevent us from holding them.”
The Taliban attacks occur mere weeks after the Trump administration ended peace talks for the 18-year conflict with the Taliban on Saturday, Sept. 7, following the death of an American soldier. If elections are to proceed, it will be the fourth nation-wide election since the US ousted the Taliban government in 2001. The British Broadcasting Company (BBC) reports that as of Sept. 18 there are 9.6 million Afghan citizens have registered to vote, but some estimates suggest that as many as one in twelve of the election centers may be closed due to security threats.